Many mental health issues become apparent during the late teen years and is it a health issue the College is well aware of. All staff have undergone some level of training in relation to Mental Health and key staff, including the Pastoral Care Team, have a considerable amount of training.
What are the most common signs or symptoms of mental health illness?
Some of the more significant indicators of a possible mental illness include:
- Marked personality change over time
- Confused thinking, grandiose ideas
- Prolonged feelings of depression or apathy
- Feelings of extreme highs or lows
- Heightened anxieties, fears of anger or suspicion; blaming others
- Social withdrawal, increased self-centredness
- Denial of obvious problems and strong resistance to offers of help
- Substance abuse
- Thinking or talking about suicide
- Having trouble sleeping, or sleeping way more than usual
What factors influence Mental Health?